Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bikes

Seeing as how the last two things I've posted about have found miraculous (or, more recently, hellish) ways to backfire, I've decided to only write about topics that are more predictable than BYU football, such as the weather since El Nino, the current economic climate, and Kanye West. Oh, and bikes.

Ryan and I recently acquired a couple mountain bikes.* Because fall is my new favorite season--and we know winter is lurking just around the corner--we've been enjoying the outdoors as much as possible. The last three days I've ridden my bike either to work, from work, or both. (Ask me later, if you really care to figure out the logistics there...)

Choosing to bike instead of travel by car definitely has its pros and cons:

Pro: It's free!
Con: So are the smashed bugs that end up on my shirt, and inevitably, in my mouth.

Pro: It's great exercise!
Con: Home seems to be at the top of a hill no matter where I'm coming from.

Pro: It's environmentally friendly!
Con: The sweat and outdoors odor is not office friendly.

Pro: There's nothing to obstruct your view of nature!
Con: Or the rain, mud, and ice.

All things considered, I'm loving the bikes and hoping for a late winter.

*If you're wondering, mine is the infamous bike that spent over a year at an apartment I didn't live in because I couldn't find the key to unlock it. It's amazing, and a little disheartening, how easily those shears cut through that lock.

4 comments:

Cosme & Judy Salazar said...

Way to go, Lisa, you are greener than you ever immagined!!! lol
Papa

Bart and Kellie said...

I love your blog! (but yes, the BYU game was torture.) I'm glad you rescued the abandoned bike, I've been contemplating joining the biking population, but since the last bike I had was the one my parents bribed me with to quit biting my nails when I was 9, I will need to invest in a new bike before that happens. Let me know if the consensus ends up pro or con. At least in Vegas, there is no ice or rain or mud for that matter. Love your writing, you're so funny!

kimi + joe said...

Way to go! Enjoy every beautiful day before winter creeps in.

lisa said...

@dad: I know, huh? It must be all this mountain air!

@kellie: thanks! and you totally should take the plunge. It's a lot more fun than I imagined.

@kimi: so happy to have found you again! you and hubs are a cute little pair.