Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Texas Independence Day!

(and thanks to Talida, my best friend in 6th grade, for the reminder and following quote)

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it ... For all its enormous range of space, climate, and physical appearance, and for all the internal squabbles, contentions, and strivings, Texas has a tight cohesiveness perhaps stronger than any other section of America. Rich, poor, Panhandle, Gulf, city, country, Texas is the obsession, the proper study and the passionate possession of all Texans."

John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Texans are more proud of their state than anyone. I remember my first day teaching there and we said the pledge to the Texas flag. Who else does that?

Cami said...

Yeehaw! God Bless Texas.

BILL said...

Amen!

talida said...

Yes! Texans forever!

Christie Elizabeth said...

AMEN AND AMEN!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I think a thank you is in order to a one - Sam Houston. I'll send him the message. Because of him I am happy to be one of the few people who know that texas was it's own country (even if it was for only about a year). I didn't think you texans were boasting enough yet so i thought i would just throw that one in their and let your texan pride increase till it's about to burst.

lease said...

Sarah: I'll never forget when your dad (a distant relative of Sam the Great) met the descendant of Santa Ana. "Let's finish it off right here, right now..." That's hilarious.

Someday I'll take you to see the gargantuan statue of good ol Sam H.

Unknown said...

When I moved from Texas to Arkansas, apparently I was really annoying to teachers, friends, girlscout leaders, church leaders.... I kept saying, "that's not how we do it in Texas" or "in Texas there is..." I guess I WAS a Texan.